Wow, I never thought moving to Colorado would make me subject to getting robbed...by the STATE! This place is ridiculous! So I just went to license our vehicles here and get some cool Colorado plates and the guy had to pick my jaw off the floor as he told me the price.
First I took the Pathfinder. It was kind of a lot of paperwork and big process since the vehicles were from out of state, but no worries, I had plenty of time that day. When he was near the end, I looked at his screen and saw a price of $200-something and I thought to myself, "much higher than Utah, but it won't put me under." Then he said, "Just let me finish this and then I'll explain all the prices." ALL the prices??? I looked back at the screen and saw four other prices with the grand total being $1132!!!! Are you kidding me!? So he started to explain as my heart raced extra fast, thinking that is crazy and is there any way around this.
Well I have now learned there is something called 'Ownership tax' here and it is absurd! You are charged this tax based on how much the vehicle is worth in combination with how old it is, up to 10 years old. So for someone who bought some fancy schmancy sports car (like really fancy) here would owe about $5000-$6000 / year in just ownership taxes. Guess that's why you never see those around here, or it could be the fact that it's Grand Junction. Either way, this tax really makes me think twice about owning a nice expensive vehicle.
Well after questioning a super high ownership tax and having the guy call Denver to clear up some of the math that just didn't add up for me, my final price for just the Pathfinder was $812! I actually felt like I had gotten a deal after seeing the $1100+ price. Come on, seriously, I would have never dreamed it could be so expensive to license a vehicle. This car cost us a little over $100 last year to license in Utah.
So I took it home and brought the Camry back to get it licensed. According to the law, after 10 years old, the vehicle only costs $3 for the ownership tax. So the Camry is 9 years old. Should be cheap right? WRONG! Incredibly it still cost nearly $300 for it! Wow, in Utah, around $70...in FL it only cost $36/year. Makes me want to go back to FL!
We still have the 4-wheeler trailer to switch over, but I hardly dare take it in. He estimated it would be around $200...just for a stinkin' 4-wheeler trailer! It's crazy.
I now expect a gold road paved to my house!
universe inside of you
8 years ago
4 comments:
I had the same shock... i had to register our new car... gulp! $698 and that was only b/c the dealership paid a few of the other taxes total over $300! Disgusting. And I went in expecting only like $45. It was a hard day.
YIKES! I hope you get that gold road paved to your house! You deserve it if you are going to be paying that much! Especially if you have to pay that every year! CRAZY! Move to Wyoming. It's pretty cheap :) Then you could keep me company too! And the kids would have someone to play with. Perfect, don't you think!?
Your story gives a whole new meaning to the John Denver phrase "Rocky Mountain HIGH'
Simple solution: move back here to Florida where we love you and you can win the lottery. :-)
Oh my gosh!! You must be kidding me. I can't believe that. We still have to register the Kia here and I wonder what our price will be. It better not be anything close to Colorado or I will move back to Texas or Florida.
Post a Comment