The mountains around Ouray are known for their many jeeping trails. We really wanted to go on the somewhat famous Alpine Loop...a dirt road, up in the high-country out away from everything and everyone. So I got a map from the hotel front desk of the jeeping trails, including the Loop, and their descriptions. The clerk told me the trails were rated 1-5, with 5 being the hardest and extremely hazardous. We were taking our Pathfinder, its 4x4, but certainly not a Jeep. So she said she wouldn't recommend anything higher than a 3 rating in our car. I thought she was being extra cautious, but listened to all her advice.
We got up to the start of the Loop right off the highway and the road looked quite rocky. It was rated a 3, but turned into a 5 in some parts. I definitely need new tires on my car and we did not need another popped tire from sharp rocks, so we decided to go find another trail.
A few miles further down the highway we found another trail, a 3 rating, at the start of an old mining town. It looked completely harmless at the first. Nice meadows, quaky trees, people camping. Then suddenly it turned and side-cut up the mountain for a few miles, literally. I didn't know when we'd ever get to the top. I was quite nervous at times. It wasn't so dangerous that I thought we'd roll off the cliff, but with two little ones in the back sleeping and slightly greasy roads, it wasn't the most settling of drives I've been on. These weren't just dirt roads through the mountains that people take for a Sunday drive to see the pretty fall colors. These were crazy climbing Jeeping trails!
The road quickly turned from dirt to mostly shale and rock, up above the treeline. We finally got to the top at 12, 200 ft! I couldn't believe it! The view were incredible all the way up and on top. But I really couldn't believe that we just side cut a 14,000 ft peak to get over the top of a mountain pass. Who knew there were roads up that high?! Not me...not like that!
After we went across that pass, we decided to go over one more pass since we survived the first one. It was amazing as well, and we found a lake up at the top of the pass at 12, 600 ft! This is officially the highest either of us have ever been. I took some pictures, but they in no way show how high or incredible it is up on top of the world like that.
2 comments:
Steph,
It looks gorgeous! What a fun memory and a great experience. I'm glad everyone is safe! LOL
I would have totally freaked out!! At least it was a beautiful view and you did not hit a horse!
Post a Comment